The CBS Calendar is a simplified ‘Ordo’ – Liturgical Calendar, for the episcopal territories of England and Wales, Scotland and Ireland. Not all saints’ days are observed with the same status in each country.
To make things a little easier, you can click on the country of your choice for the month’s calendar:
(A full liturgical calendar is available from www.universalis.com)
Generally, the prominence of the celebration is as follows,
- Sunday and Feasts of the Lord
- Holydays of Obligation
- Optional Memorials and Saturday memorials of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Only celebrations 1, 2 and 3 can take place on Sundays.
- During Lent, memorials are kept as commemorations
- During Holy Week and the Easter Octave, solemnities are transferred to the first available weekday after the Octave.
- During Advent, Lent and Eastertide, if a solemnity occurs on a Sunday, it is transferred to the following Monday e.g. The Immaculate Conception.
- Saturday memorials of the Blessed Virgin Mary are only celebrated when there is no other Memorial to be celebrated.
The patronal title of each parish is celebrated as a solemnity and if there are two patrons, for example SS John and James, both are kept as solemnities.